Thammasat University (Tha Prachan Campus)
June 22-24th, 2023
Thammasat University (Tha Prachan Campus), Auditorium Room, 4th Floor, Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication.
Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication, 2 Prachan Rd., Phra Nakorn, Bangkok 10200, Thailand
|June 22, 2023||9:00-10:00||Registration and Open Ceremony|
|10:00-12:00||Keynote Speech (By Daniel Little)|
|1:00-3:00||Presentation Session 1|
|3:30-5:30||Presentation Session 2|
|June 23, 2023||10:00-12:00||Presentation Session 3|
|1:00-3:00||Presentation Session 4|
|3:30-5:30||Presentation Session 5|
|June 24, 2023||9:30-12:30||Network Meeting|
Please note that a more detailed program with presentation titles and presenters’ name will be updated. Last-minute changes in the program due to external or unforeseen circumstances may occur. These changes will be announced on-site at the registration desk, and, if possible.
On-site registration will open on the morning of 22nd June 2023. The registration desk and conference secretariat will be located at the conference venue.
From the airport to the city
Most national airlines and long-haul flights fly to Suvarnabhumi International Airport. Some budget airlines fly to Don Muang International Airport.
Suvanabhumi airport is situated to the east of Bangkok, approximately 30 kilometers (19 miles) from the city center. Various types of transportation are available from the airport to the city center:
- Airport Rail Link: operates daily from 06.00 AM – midnight. The City Line station is located on the Basement level (B) at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK). The standard fare for the City Line from Suvarnabhumi Airport to BTS – Skytrain interchange (Phayathai Station) is 45 TH Baht; and from Suvarnabhumi Airport to MRT – Subway interchange (Makkasan Station) is 35 TH Baht.
- Public Bus Service: Bus Number 551 travels from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Victory Monument Station (BTS – Skytrain) connection; Bus fare is 35-40 baht, available 24 hours at the Transport Center.
- Taxi: Public taxi stand is located on the 1st floor (Ground Level). The taxi counter is near Gates 3, 4, 7, and 8, the passenger terminal. Metered taxi fare charged according to the distance traveled plus 50 TH Baht airport surcharge, and expressway fees.
- Car rental: There are several local and international car rental companies operating at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport, including Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Sixt, Thai Rent A Car, Bizcar Rental and Chic Car Rent. Service counters are available at Gate 8, 2nd floor, passenger terminal. You can compare the rates and book a car rental online: www.bangkokairportonline.com/car-rental-at-suvarnabhumi-airport/.
Don Muang Airport is located approximately 25 kilometers (16 miles) to the north from Bangkok’s city center. You can travel to the city center with public or private transportation:
- Airport Shuttle Bus: By A1 route you can transfer from Don Mueang Airport to Mo Chit Station (The MRT Blue Line); A2 route transfers from Don Muang Airport to Victory Monument Station (The BTS Skytrain) in Bangkok. We recommend A4 route, which connects the airport with Khao San Road, Sanam Luang and Thammasat University (Tha Phrachan Campus). Bangkok A4 Bus service operates daily, from 7:00 to 23:00, the travel usually takes about 1 hour. You can board both outside the Arrivals Hall at either Terminal 1 or Terminal 2 at Don Mueang Airport, purchase your ticket on board to the driver. Single ticket is 50 baht. However, we recommend to always check it.
- Taxi: Don Mueang Airport has a special taxi management system which allows you to book a taxi and wait for it at the waiting areas. Taxi ranks are available outside both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 Arrivals Hall. Estimated fare for a single ride to Bangkok city centre (Siam Area) from Don Mueang Airport is around THB 200-300.
- Car rental: Check our search engine to find the best offer for your car via www.don-mueang-airport.com/car-rental.php The car rental partners’ booths can be found in both Terminal 1 (In the Arrivals Hall, first level) and Terminal 2 (In the domestic arrivals, first level)
Traveling to Thammasat University (Tha Prachan Campus)
Thammasat University (Tha Prachan Campus) is in the middle of Rattanakosin Island, or Bangkok’s old town zone (around the Royal Grand Palace). You can travel to Thammasat University, Tha Prachan Campus, by MRT, BTS, taxis, and buses. The Campus can also be easily accessed via the Chao Phraya River (ferries and the express boat service).
- Taxi: for “Thammasat Tha Prachan” or “Sanam Luang”; fare starts from 35 THB for the first kilometer, then subjected to the traveled distance and the traffic condition. Popular cloud taxi booking services are Grab Taxi Application, where different booking service fees are applied.
A taxi from Suvarnabhumi international airport to Thammasat University (Tha Prachan Campus) and near place costs approximately 500 THB.
- Public Bus Service: the nearest bus stops to the university are National Theatre, Tha Prachan and Sanam Luang (approx. 5 mins walk to the University).
- The Chao Phraya Express Boat: local and orange lines to Tha Chang and Tha Phra Arthit piers; green line to Tha Chang Pier; blue line to Maharaj Pier (approx. 5-8 minutes walk to the University).
- MRT-Subway: the closest MRT station is Sanam Chai station, (The MRT Blue Line) from which you need to take a short bus (No. 53, 82) or taxi ride to the venue (subject to the traffic).
- BTS – Skytrain: the nearest BTS station is Saphan Tak Sin Station, from which you need to take the Chao Phraya Express boat to the University (15-30 mins).
Thammasat University (Tha Prachan campus, https://tu.ac.th/en) is Thailand’s second oldest university which was officially inaugurated on June 27, 1934, on the banks of the Chao Phraya River. The campus is historically known as the site of the movements that led to the 1973 uprising against the dictatorship of Thanom Kittikachorn and the Thammasat Massacre, where more than a hundred students, who were protesting the return of military rule in Thailand, were killed on 6 October 1976.
The campus is located in the same area as the renowned Sanam Luang. The university is within walking distance of the famous Grand Palace and Temple of the Emerald Buddha. There are several commercial and community areas nearby such as Khao San, Bang Lamphu, Tha Tien, Pak Khlong Talat (Flower Market), and China Town.
Thammasat University (Tha Prachan Campus) is in the center of tourist attractions, so there are many hotels. Hotels in a nearby radius are Riva Surya, Praya Palazzo, SALA Arun, Riva Arun Bangkok, Aurum the River Place, New Siam Riverside, Chillax Heritage and etc.
You can find plenty of other hotels with reasonable and cost-effective prices on an online travel booking platform e.g. https://www.agoda.com/. However, it is advisable to book your room as soon as possible as this area is touristy and some hotels may be full.
The nearest hospital is Sirirat Hospital, Thailand’s oldest and largest hospital. It locates on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, opposite Thammasat University (Tha Prachan campus).
Banks are open between 9.30 am to 3.30 pm, Monday to Friday. Banks in department stores follow the opening hours of the stores which are usually 10.00 am to 8.00 pm. But many ATMs accept major credit cards.
The month of June in Bangkok is quite hot and rainy with average high temperatures of 35°C (95 °F) and average lows of 28 °C (82.4 °F).
The official currency is THAI BAHT (฿). The current exchange rate on May 16th, 2023 is 33.896 TH Baht/US Dollar
The Local Organizing Committee accepts no liability for injuries/losses of whatever nature incurred by participants and/or accompanying persons, nor loss of, or damage to, their luggage and/or personal belongings.